Squid Flies

Laegreid Outdoors has covered squid jigging, and we've covered fly tying, so I figured, what the heck, let's mash 'em both together. This was the result:

Do squid like fuzzy things?

This one looks highly effective.

Now I don't know about the semantics, so I'm not sure if we can call these squid flies until they've been fished off of a fly line; for now they are squid jigs. Someday (when I acquire a boat) they will be fished off a 5-weight and a sink-tip, for now they'll be riding fluorocarbon into the Salish Sea.  

There are a few reasons I tied these:
  1. I've had most of my squid-success on small jigs; these are smaller than my small jigs. We shall see if that makes a difference.
  2. There are some instances where fish will hold on to a lure longer if it feels more natural. Since my squid jigs were all hard plastic, these will let me find out if that holds true for squid as well.
  3. I like making weird things.
So these little guys are going to come with me on my next squid outing, which will be after the holidays. Look for a post next week with pictures from Wyoming!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Banana Boat: A review of the Intex Explorer K2 Kayak

A Longer Post About Squid Fishing Puget Sound

New Year's Goals