How to GIT PUMPED aka My Running Jams

In my last post, 10 Ways to Stay Outdoorsy in the Office, I mentioned music as being a way to connect with the outdoors, which it is. Not mentioned, however, is the influence music can have on your outdoor activities. I recently took up running, a sport which I had previously held in disdain, as it makes me hurt. In the past year or so, however, I've noticed that I've expanded a bit, and parts of me jiggle now that never did before. This is a problem. Here's a break-down of what's going on:

The problem: I'm now a chunk.
The culprit: A severe lack of cardio and a lot of sitting in an office. Also junk food.
The cure: More cardio and a better diet.
The question: How do I get my lazy butt to move and lose weight?
The answer: Music! And by removing soda from my diet and bringing lunches to work, but that's not what this post is about.

I chose running for a few reasons. The first is that my best friend is a runner (hey Andrew), and he has always been pretty fit, proving the "it's good cardio" aspect. He's also been a great resource in getting started, which is always a good thing to have. The second reason is that running is an all-year sport. If it's rainy or cold, I can just run on a treadmill; if it's sunny or I've been cooped up all day, I'll run outside and it's great. Reason number three: I've got an app, and the app pushes me towards a goal. My brother (hey Carl) informed me of the c25k app (Couch to 5k). It's a 9-week course designed to get you from a zero starting point to running a 5k, and it's got a neat-o app for my phone.

So I have all these great resources, great reasons to run, and one drawback: running is hard. My legs hurt, I get all sweaty, my lungs hate it, people look at me funny, I look funny, the list goes on. How, then, do I get myself moving? Music. Music is what tips the scales and makes running doable. It gives me a beat to run to and distracts me from all the exercise that is happening, and in doing so it allows me to become a better outdoorsman. Remember, folks, being outdoorsy is for everyone, but being fit and outdoorsy is way easier. Now, in honor of the songs that help me be a better me, I'm going to list a few of my running tunes. Take a listen, and maybe they'll get you jazzed up to do the things that you need motivation for!

In no particular order, and with no regard to personal shame:

  1. The Batman Theme Song  This is a good song to start with, no matter what you're doing
  2. Devil Nights - Electric Six
  3. Don't Stop Me Now - Queen  #FreddyMercuryridingatiger
  4. Get Up Outta The Dirt - Butterfingers
  5. Shark Attack - Grouplove
  6. Nice Weather for Ducks - Lemon Jelly
  7. Technologic - Daft Punk
  8. Steam Powered - Professor Elemental
  9. That Beep - Architecture in Helsinki
  10. The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song - The Flaming Lips
  11. TGIF - Katy Perry  Please note: I am a big strong man
  12. Your Love is my Drug - Ke$ha  What? She likes my beard
  13. Under a Cloud Shaped Like a Tomb - Agesandages Reppin the local bands
  14. Haze of Love - Cake
  15. Don't Say Oh Well - Grouplove  I like Grouplove
Of course there are plenty more, but these are some pretty good'uns. Also, before I sign off, I'd like to mention The Balanced Athlete, our local running store. Just like in fishing, if you need help, go to your local store. These guys are helpful and run a clean shop, and they helped me and my girlfriend (hey Jodi) get some sweet running shoes. If you're near Renton, stop in and check it out. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Banana Boat: A review of the Intex Explorer K2 Kayak

A Longer Post About Squid Fishing Puget Sound

New Year's Goals