Critters

Pets! Pets are wonderful little creatures. Somewhere along the line we humans decided that, instead of eating these fuzzy beings, we would let them enter into our homes and lives as family. Certainly there were benefits other than companionship when this first started, with dogs providing keen ears and noses for hunting and security, and cats doing their work to rid the home and pantry of vermin, but nowadays that work, at least in most of the US, is less important. Our dogs still hunt and still bark at strangers (often and loudly, in the case of my pooch) and our cats still pounce on mice and rats, but the focus has shifted from having an animal out of necessity to having one for comfort.

Today I will introduce to you my three beasts, and give them the appreciation they deserve, for even though they don't bring home much meat, my world would be less without them.

First, we have our eldest, Freya, named for the Norse goddess of love, fertility, war and death. She was found alone as a kitten during a cold Nebraska winter behind the coffee shop I worked at. My old car didn't handle cold weather well, and as I was walking home that night she followed me the whole way, darting from shadow to shadow. The only time she hesitated was when I went inside and held the door open, but she mustered up the courage and has lived with me ever since.



Next we have Frigg, named after the Norse/Germanic goddess from whom we get Friday (Friges-day). This little boneless wonder we adopted from a lovely family right here in Laramie. She is one  of the most gentle and affectionate cats I've met. She lives to clean, whether it be herself or the dog or my head, and I'm looking forward to many more years with this little brown-eyed cat.



Finally, we come to Hella, named after the Norse goddess (see a theme?) that ruled Helheim. We drove allll the way to Idaho to pick up this little mutt, and it was well worth it. She has gone from scared little pupper to rebellious dog to energetic and upstanding member of the household, all in under a year. We may make a bird-dog of her yet, but even if she doesn't hunt a day in her life I'm happy to have her.


And there you have it, a happy post about fuzzy things to warm you on a cold November day, See you next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Banana Boat: A review of the Intex Explorer K2 Kayak

A Longer Post About Squid Fishing Puget Sound

New Year's Goals